Who May Adopt, Be Adopted, or Place a Child for Adoption - New Hampshire
Who May Adopt
Citation: Rev. Stat. § 170-B:4
Any of the following adults may adopt:
- A husband and wife together
- A married person without his or her spouse joining as a petitioner if any one of the following circumstances apply:
- The petitioner is the stepparent.
- The petitioner and his or her spouse are legally separated.
- The failure of the petitioner's spouse to join in the petition is excused by the court by reason of prolonged unexplained absence, unavailability, or circumstances constituting an unreasonable withholding of assent.
- The petitioner's spouse assents to the adoption, and the adopted person is over age 18.
- An unmarried adult
- The unmarried parent of the adopted person
Who May Be Adopted
Citation: Rev. Stat. § 170-B:3
Any individual may be adopted.
Who May Place a Child for Adoption
Citation: Rev. Stat. § 170-B:5
A surrender of parental rights shall be obtained from any of the following:
- The parents
- The child's legal guardian
- The Department of Health and Human Services
- A licensed child-placing agency