State Recognition of Intercountry Adoptions Finalized Abroad - Kansas

Date: April 2018

Effect and Recognition of a Foreign Adoption Decree

Citation: Ann. Stat. § 59-2144(a)-(b)

When a Kansas resident adopts a child in a foreign country in accordance with the laws of the foreign country pertaining to relinquishment, termination of parental rights, and consent to the adoption, the decree of adoption (or a similar document or documents that evidences finalization of the adoption in the foreign country and evidence of lawful admission into the United States) has the same force and effect when filed with and entered in the records of the clerk of the district court of any county in this State as if the decree of adoption (or a similar document or documents) was granted in accordance with the provisions of the Kansas Adoption and Relinquishment Act.

When the adoption decree or document is filed and entered, the adoptive parent or parents may request a birth certificate pursuant to § 65-2423.

Readoption After an Intercountry Adoption

This issue is not addressed in the statutes reviewed.

Application for a U.S. Birth Certificate

Citation: Ann. Stat. § 65-2423(b)

The State registrar will, upon request, complete and register a birth certificate for a foreign-born child who was adopted in Kansas or who was adopted abroad and his or her foreign adoption decree was filed and entered in Kansas when it receives:

  • A certified copy of the decree of adoption, or similar document(s) that evidences the finalization of the adoption abroad
  • The report of adoption form and proof of the date and place of the child's birth

The certificate shall show:

  • The new name of the child as specified in the decree of adoption or a similar document or documents
  • Such further information concerning the adopting parents as may be necessary to complete the birth certificate

The certificate will show the true country of birth and the date of birth of the child. The certificate shall state the following: 'This certificate is issued pursuant to § 65-2423(b) and amendments thereto.'