Transcript (PDF - 188 KB)
"Everything that we do we should do with the love of our children in mind. I wanted to really start out with that—a loving approach to helping children obtain what they need. We do that in our own families, but we should also be doing that in child welfare and other systems that support children and families."
—Aysha E. Schomburg, J.D., associate commissioner, Children's Bureau
This episode features a conversation with Aysha E. Schomburg, J.D., associate commissioner, Children's Bureau, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Nearly one year after her appointment by the Biden administration, Commissioner Schomburg released a vision for the Children's Bureau, with its highest priority being promoting equity in State child welfare systems and the following priority goals:
- Prevent children from coming into foster care
- Support kinship caregivers
- Ensure youth leave care with strengthened relationships, holistic supports, and opportunities
- Develop and enhance the child welfare workforce
This conversation dives into each priority goal, including any Federal policy or guidance updates and recommendations, along with how these actions connect and relate to the work performed by frontline child welfare professionals.
The following individuals are featured in this episode:
- Aysha E. Schomburg, J.D., associate commissioner, Children's Bureau, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Topics discussed include the following:
- Ensuring and maintaining a connection with and understanding of the needs and issues faced by State, local, and Tribal agencies, along with youth, families, and "accountability partners"
- How the Children's Bureau's priorities are being implemented at the Federal level and their connection to the work performed by State, local, and Tribal agencies
- Overcoming the challenges of supporting the nation's diverse populations and diverse jurisdictions
Other Related Resources
- Racial Equity
Child Welfare Capacity Building Center for States
- Alliance for Race Equity in Child Welfare: Transforming How Systems Interact With Children and Families of Color
Center for the Study of Social Policy
- Race Equity Hub
National Association of Counsel for Children