Use of Advertising and Facilitators in Adoptive Placements - Virginia
Use of Advertisement
Citation: Ann. Code §§ 63.2-1218; 63.2-1225
No person shall advertise or solicit to perform any activity prohibited by this section. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a felony.
A physician, attorney, or member of the clergy shall not charge any fee for recommending a placement of a child for adoption to a board or agency and shall not advertise that he or she is available to make such recommendations. An attorney may, however, charge for legal fees and services rendered in connection with the placement.
Use of Intermediaries/Facilitators
Citation: Ann. Code § 63.2-1218
No person or child-placing agency shall charge, pay, give, or agree to give or accept any money, property, service, or other thing of value in connection with a placement or adoption or any act undertaken pursuant to this chapter, except for the following:
- Reasonable and customary services provided by a licensed or duly authorized child-placing agency and fees paid for such services
- Payment or reimbursement for medical expenses and insurance premiums that are directly related to the birth mother's pregnancy and hospitalization for the birth of the child who is subject to the adoption proceedings, for mental health counseling by the birth parent(s) related to the adoption, and for expenses incurred for medical care for the child
- Payment or reimbursement for reasonable and necessary expenses for food, clothing, and shelter when, upon the written advice of her physician, the birth mother is unable to work or otherwise support herself due to medical reasons or complications associated with the pregnancy or birth of the child
- Payment or reimbursement for reasonable expenses incurred incidental to any required court appearance including, but not limited to, transportation, food, and lodging
- Usual and customary fees for legal services in adoption proceedings
- Payment or reimbursement of reasonable expenses incurred for transportation in connection with any of the services specified in this section and as necessary for compliance with the law in such placements