Providing Adoptive Parents With Information About Adoptees and Their Birth Families - Louisiana
Agency or Person Preparing the Report
Citation: Children's Code Art. 1207; 1229
The Department of Social Services shall investigate the proposed private or agency adoption and submit a confidential report of its findings to the court. The department may delegate the performance of this investigation to a licensed private adoption agency, but the department remains responsible for ensuring the accuracy and thoroughness of the resulting report.
Contents of Report About the Adopted Person
Citation: Children's Code Art. 1207; 1229; 1125
The department's report shall include the following:
- The physical and mental condition of the child
- Other factors regarding the suitability of the child for adoption in petitioner's home
The Statement of Family History from the surrendering parent shall contain the following information about the child, if applicable:
- Immunization record
- Illness history
Contents of Report About the Birth Family
Citation: Children's Code Art. 1124; 1125
A surrendering parent shall execute a Statement of Family History that shall be attached to the Act of Surrender.
The Statement of Family History shall contain the following nonidentifying information, if known:
- The age of each birth parent
- Descriptive information about each birth parent, including the following:
- Age, height, weight, hair color, eye color, complexion, and body build
- Education, occupation, and talents
- Religion, race, and ethnicity or nationality
- Native American/Tribal affiliation, if applicable
- The biological relationship of the parents, if applicable
- Explicit and extensive medical genetic histories of each birth parent and his or her parents, siblings, grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins
When the Report Is Made
Citation: Children's Code Art. 1124
The Statement of Family History from the surrendering parent shall be given to the prospective adoptive parents at the time of placement.
Exceptions for Stepparent or Relative Adoptions
Citation: Children's Code Art. 1252
The department shall not investigate a proposed intrafamily adoption except upon order of the court. If the court orders an investigation, it may request any information that it deems relevant and require that the department submit a confidential report of its findings to the court.