Court Jurisdiction and Venue for Adoption Petitions - Utah
Citation: Ann. Code §§ 78B-6-105; 78A-6-103(2)(n)
Adoption proceedings shall be commenced by filing a petition with the district court.
The juvenile court has exclusive original jurisdiction in proceedings concerning adoptions when the juvenile court has previously entered an order terminating the rights of a parent and finds that adoption is in the best interests of the child.
Citation: Ann. Code § 78B-6-105
An adoption proceeding shall be commenced by filing a petition in the appropriate court, as follows:
- The district court in the district where the prospective adoptive parent resides
- If the prospective adoptive parent is not a resident of this State, the district court in the district to which one of the following applies:
- Where the adoptee was born
- Where the adoptee resides on the day the petition is filed
- Where a parent of the proposed adoptee resides on the day the petition is filed
- The juvenile court as provided in § 78A-6-103