Between July and September 2016, representatives from the U.S. Departments of Education (ED) and Health and Human Services (HHS) cohosted a series of webinars on the Every Student Succeeds Act's (ESSA's) educational stability requirements and corresponding provisions from joint guidance. Representatives from child welfare agencies, education agencies, and partner organizations shared lessons learned through their respective early implementation efforts. The webinar resources below are open source and can be shared broadly.
An Overview of the ED–HHS Joint Guidance
July 27, 2016
Provides an overview of the provisions of the nonregulatory joint guidance and featured insight from the American Bar Association's Legal Center on Foster Care and Education.
- An Overview of the ED/HHS Joint Guidance PowerPoint Presentation (July 27, 2016)
- Overview Webinar Audio Recording (July 27, 2016)
Education and Child Welfare Points of Contact
August 17, 2016
Focuses on the ESSA requirements related to establishing points of contact at State and local educational agencies and child welfare agencies. This webinar also featured representatives from the Colorado Department of Education, the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, and the Allegheny County Department of Human Services.
- Education and Child Welfare Points of Contact Webinar PowerPoint (August 17, 2016)
- Points of Contact Webinar Audio Recording (August 17, 2016)
Best Interest Determinations and Immediate Enrollment
August 24, 2016
Concentrates on the ESSA requirements related to schools of origin, conducting best interest determinations, and immediate enrollment procedures. This webinar also featured representatives from the Legal Aid Justice Center, Project HOPE–Virginia, and the Vermont Agency of Human Resources.
- Best Interest Determinations and Immediate Enrollment PowerPoint Presentation (August 24, 2016)
- Determinations and Enrollment Webinar Audio Recording (August 24, 2016)
August 31, 2016
Focuses on the ESSA requirements related to transportation services for children in foster care and featured representatives from the San Diego County Office of Education and the Washington, DC, Child and Family Services Agency.
- Transportation Procedures Webinar PowerPoint (August 31, 2016)
- Transportation Webinar Audio Recording (August 31, 2016)
September 7, 2016
Centers on the effective collaboration between education and child welfare agencies required to successfully support the educational stability of children in foster care. This webinar also featured representatives from the American Bar Association's Legal Center on Foster Care and Education, the Texas Education Agency, the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, and the Supreme Court of Texas Permanent Judicial Commission for Children, Youth and Families.