Home > Spread the Word
Spread the Word
Thousands of children and youth across the country need permanent families. You can make a difference by raising awareness in your community. Use these communications tools to share important information and resources!
Download and share the Outreach Toolkit (PDF - 1,024 KB).
Download (1200 x 628px)
Sample Social Media
"Youth voice should be an everyday way of life. Take time to “listen and learn” to help youth in foster care find their forever family. #NationalAdoptionMonth #YouthVoice
|View more social media posts|
Contact media, bloggers, local community groups, and your colleagues using these
messages in newsletters, emails, blog posts, and more!
Raise awareness with your public profile and with every email you send!
Key Facts and Statistics
- There are over 122,000 children and youth waiting to be adopted who are at risk of aging out of foster care without permanent family connections. (AFCARS report)
- Approximately one in five children in the U.S. foster care system waiting to be adopted are teens.
- Only 5 percent of all children adopted in 2019 were 15 - 18 years old.
- The risk of homelessness and human trafficking is increased for teenagers in foster care.
- According to the most recent AFCARS report, of the 122,000 children and youth waiting to be adopted:
- 52 percent are male
- 48 percent are female
- 22 percent are African American
- 22 percent are Hispanic
- 44 percent are white
- The average age is eight years old
- 11 percent are between 15 and 18 years old
- Average time in foster care is 31 months