National Adoption Month Partners
National Adoption Month is an initiative of the Children's Bureau with the goal to increase national awareness and draw attention to and support for the thousands of children and youth in the U.S. foster care system who are waiting for permanent, loving families. The initiative is supported through a partnership with Child Welfare Information Gateway and AdoptUSKids.
AdoptUSKids’ mission is to raise public awareness about the need for foster and adoptive families for children and youth living in foster care while assisting States, territories, and Tribes to recruit, engage, develop, and support foster and adoptive families. AdoptUSKids is a project of the U.S. Children’s Bureau.
How we help professionals:
AdoptUSKids supports child welfare workers and agencies with the following free resources:
- National photolisting. Child welfare professionals use our free national photolisting to match children in need of permanent homes with parents who are approved to adopt from foster care.
- Resource library. We publish guides, tip sheets, and archived webinars on topics ranging from finding families to working with diverse communities to writing children’s narratives.
- Capacity-building services. We offer consultation, webinars, training, and other opportunities for agency leaders to connect, learn, and ultimately improve their service to children and families.
- Leadership development. We help emerging leaders develop skills and networks through our Minority Professional Leadership Development program.
- National ad campaign. Our National Adoption Recruitment Campaign promotes adoption from foster care and raises awareness of the 112,000 children and teens waiting to be adopted.
- Communications. Our newsletters and an active Twitter channel keep professionals informed about new resources, tools, and best practices that can help them do their jobs better.
How We Help Families:
We’re here to help families every step of the way, from starting the process to foster or adopt to receiving a placement and accessing supportive services. We supply information, resources, and referrals and connect families seeking to foster and adopt with children and their caseworkers. We offer the only federally funded national photolisting of children and youth in foster care in the United States who are available for adoption.
All of our services are provided to families and professionals free of charge.
Child Welfare Information Gateway (Information Gateway) promotes the safety, permanency, and well-being of children, youth, and families by connecting child welfare, adoption, and related professionals as well as the public to information, resources, and tools covering topics on child welfare, child abuse and neglect, out-of-home care, adoption, and more. Explore the Introduction to Adoption section on the Information Gateway website to learn more about adoption or visit some of our other free resources below.
- National Foster Care & Adoption Directory includes State-by-State listings of adoption agencies, State officials and services, support groups, and other related services.
- Adoption Triad is a monthly e-brief that provides practical information, tools, and strategies to help agencies build their capacity to identify, recruit, and retain families for children and youth. It also presents resources on all aspects of adoption for professionals to share with triad members.
- State Statutes Search provides State statutes on a range of issues related to child abuse and neglect, child welfare, and adoption.
- Information Gateway Publications Series List includes over 190 bulletins for professionals, factsheets for families, Spanish materials, and other products produced or distributed by Information Gateway.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway Library contains a wide range of searchable resources and literature on child abuse prevention, child abuse and neglect, out-of-home care, adoption, and other topics.