National Adoption Month Partners
National Adoption Month is an initiative of the Children's Bureau with the goal to increase national awareness and draw attention and support for the thousands of children and youth in the U.S. foster care system who are waiting for permanent, loving families. The initiative is supported through a partnership with Child Welfare Information Gateway and AdoptUSKids.
AdoptUSKids provides tools and technical supports to States, Tribes, and territories in their efforts to recruit, engage, develop, and support a pool of foster and adoptive families for children in foster care and to connect children in foster care with families waiting to adopt them. AdoptUSKids is a project of the U.S. Children's Bureau.
Services for families:
- A national photolisting of children and youth in US foster care who are available for adoption
- A rich array of resources on adoptuskids.org and a staff of foster care and adoption resource specialists who can provide information about the foster care and adoption processes and connect families with professionals in their State
Resources for professionals:
- Information to help recruit, support, and develop foster, adoptive, and kinship families on adoptuskids.org
- A national listing of thousands of home-studied families who are ready to adopt
Public awareness efforts:
- Digital media promotion, outreach, and online resources, including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- A national multimedia public service advertising campaign that raises awareness about the need for foster and adoptive families
- A diverse speakers bureau that includes adoptive and foster parents, youth, experts, and child welfare professionals
Find out more about AdoptUSKids.
Child Welfare Information Gateway promotes the safety, permanency, and well-being of children, youth, and families by connecting child welfare, adoption, and related professionals as well as the public to information, resources, and tools covering topics on child welfare, child abuse and neglect, out-of-home care, adoption, and more. Explore the Introduction to Adoption section on the Information Gateway website to learn more about adoption or visit some of our other free resources below.
- National Foster Care & Adoption Directory includes State-by-State listings of adoption agencies, State officials and services, support groups, and other related services.
- Adoption Triad is a monthly e-brief that provides practical information, tools, and strategies to help agencies build their capacity to identify, recruit, and retain families for children and youth. It also presents resources on all aspects of adoption for professionals to share with triad members.
- State Statutes Search provides State statutes on a range of issues related to child abuse and neglect, child welfare, and adoption.
- Gateway Publications Series List includes over 170 bulletins for professionals, factsheets for families, Spanish materials, and other products produced or distributed by Information Gateway.
Child Welfare Information Gateway Library contains a wide range of searchable resources and literature on child abuse prevention, child abuse and neglect, out-of-home care, adoption, and other topics.