Adoption assistance programs are designed to help parents afford the costs associated with raising eligible children and youth in foster care who have special needs. Benefits vary by State but commonly include monthly cash payments, medical assistance, and nonrecurring adoption expenses, among others.
The adoption assistance database provides summaries of State policies on available programs and services in each State.
Select one of two options:
A) Select a State to view questions/answers regarding State policies on adoption assistance and postadoption services.
B) Select a question to find out how it is addressed across all States.
Although every effort has been made to ensure that the information included in the adoption assistance database is accurate and current, additional details may be found in State statutes, State administrative code, and/or State agency websites. These resources can be accessed through our State Statutes Search by selecting: Links to State and Tribal Child Welfare Law and Policy. If you are aware of any changes to existing policy, please contact Information Gateway.
Other adoption and postadoption assistance programs and resources include:
- State Guides and Manuals Search
- Postadoption and Permanency Support Services
- State Adoption Assistance Specialists
- State Adoption Information Websites
- State Foster/Adoptive Family Associations/Coalitions
- National Foster Care & Adoption Directory Search (for contact information for adoption- related support groups in each State)
- Adoption Costs and Sources of Financial Support