Adoption and guardianship assistance programs are designed to help parents and relatives afford the costs associated with raising eligible children and youth in foster care. Benefits vary by State but commonly include monthly cash payments, medical assistance, and nonrecurring adoption expenses, among others.
The adoption and guardianship assistance database provides summaries of State policies on available programs and services in each State. State guardianship assistance policies included in this web section are based on a national survey conducted by AdoptUSkids and related research.
Select one of two options:
A) Select a State to view questions/answers regarding State policies on adoption and guardianship assistance and postadoption services.
B) Select a question to find out how it is addressed across all States.
Although every effort has been made to ensure this information is comprehensive and up-to-date, further details may be found in State statutes, State administrative code, and/or State agency websites. These resources can be accessed through our State Statutes Search by selecting Links to State and Tribal Child Welfare Law and Policy. If you are aware of any changes to existing policy, please contact Information Gateway.
Links to adoption, postadoption, and guardianship assistance resources are listed below:
- State Guides and Manuals Search
- Postadoption and Permanency Support Services
- State Adoption Program Managers and Permanency/Guardianship Support Supervisors
- State Adoption Assistance Specialists
- State Adoption Information Websites
- State Foster/Adoptive Family Associations/Coalitions
- National Foster Care & Adoption Directory Search
- Adoption Costs and Sources of Financial Support