Frequently Asked Questions: Responding to Child Abuse & Neglect
Questions and answers
- What are the signs or symptoms of child abuse and neglect?
- What can I do if I suspect child abuse or neglect? How do I report child abuse or neglect?
- Can I make an anonymous report of abuse?
- How many children are abused and neglected each year?
- I don't like the way child protective services (CPS) handled my case. What can I do?
- How to Report Suspected Child Maltreatment
Also available in Spanish: Como puede reporter el maltrato de menores
- How the Child Welfare System Works
Also available in Spanish: Cómo Funciona el Sistema de Bienestar de Menores
- A Coordinated Response to Child Abuse and Neglect: The Foundation for Practice
(PDF - 4110 KB)
- Child Maltreatment 2012
Frequently requested information
- What Is Child Abuse and Neglect? Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms
This factsheet outlines the legal definition of child abuse and neglect, the different types of abuse and neglect, and the signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect. Resources about the impact of trauma on well-being also are included.
Also available in Spanish: ¿Qué Es el Abuso y la Negligencia de Menores? Reconociendo los Indicios y los Síntomas
- Leaving Your Child Home Alone
Addresses what to consider before leaving your child home alone, including tips and resources for parents. (PDF - 322 KB)
- A Family's Guide to the Child Welfare System (PDF - 699 KB)
Addresses many of the questions that families face when they become involved with the child welfare system.
Also available in Spanish: Guía para la familia sobre el sistema de bienestar infantil (PDF - 889 KB)
- Child Protective Services: A Guide for Caseworkers
Describes the roles and responsibilities of caseworkers and key decisions and issues at each stage of the child protective process. (PDF - 447 KB)
- Supervising Child Protective Services Caseworkers
Describes the roles and responsibilities of child protective services supervisors and provides advice on how to be effective. (PDF - 4001 KB)
- Child Abuse and Neglect Fatalities: Statistics and Interventions
Discusses the occurrence and characteristics of child abuse-related fatalities, prevention and intervention information, and additional resources.
- State Laws on Reporting and Responding to Child Abuse and Neglect
Summaries of State laws on mandatory reporting, immunity for reporters, and related issues.
- State Laws on Maintaining Child Abuse and Neglect Records
Summaries of State laws on central registries, disclosure of records, and related issues.