Episode 42: Increasing the Impact of Community Organizations
Community organizations dedicated to providing services, advocacy, or training are vital partners to the child welfare field. How can those organizations expand their footprint and increase the type and amount of support they provide across their communities, regions, or states?
This episode is intended for those working with or for organizations looking to make a difference. It shares the insights and experiences of Families Forward Virginia, a nonprofit, prevention-focused organization. Since 2017, Families Forward Virginia and its network of local affiliates have provided statewide leadership and support for a multitude of Virginia programs through evidence-based and multigenerational strategies. Hear how the organization develops open-minded and service-based relationships as well as provides tools, resources, and trainings.
The following individuals are featured in this episode:
- Lisa Specter-Dunaway, Chief Executive Officer, Families Forward Virginia
- Hamilton Holloway, Director of Communications, Families Forward Virginia
Topics discussed include the following:
- How a merger between three smaller, statewide organizations created a "strength in numbers" value to advocacy, resource development, and training
- Methods to influence legislation and policy
- Tailoring resources and support to the diverse needs of different communities
- Identifying the partners that augment an organization’s capacity