Working With Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Families in Adoption
Series: Bulletins for Professionals|
Child Welfare Information Gateway |
|Year Published: 2011|
- Brooks, D., & Goldberg, S. (2001). Gay and lesbian adoptive and foster care placements: Can they meet the needs of waiting children? Social Work, 46, 147-157.
- Brown, S., Smalling, S., Groza, V., & Ryan, S. (2009). The experiences of gay men and lesbians in becoming and being adoptive parents. Adoption Quarterly, 12, 229-246.
- Downing, J., Richardson, H., Kinkler, L., & and Goldberg, A. (2009). Making the decision: Factors influencing gay men's choice of an adoption path. Adoption Quarterly, 12(3), 247-271.
- Erich, S., Leung, P., Kindle, P., & Carter, S. (2005). Gay and lesbian adoptive families: An exploratory study of family functioning, adoptive child's behavior, and familial support networks. Journal of Family Social Work, 9, 17-32.
- Farr, R. H., Forssell, S. L., & Patterson, C. J. (2010). Parenting and child development in adoptive families: Does parental sexual orientation matter? Applied Developmental Science, 14(3), 164-178. Retrieved September 20, 2010, from http://people.virginia.edu/~cjp/articles/ffp10b.pdf
- Gates, G. J., Badgett, L. M., Macomber, J. E., & Chambers, K. (2007). Adoption and foster care by lesbian and gay parents in the United States. Washington, DC: Urban Institute. Retrieved September 20, 2010, from www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/411437_Adoption_Foster_Care.pdf
- Goldberg, A. E. (2009). Lesbian and gay parents and their children: Research on the family life cycle. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Golombok, S., & Tasker, F. (1996). Do parents influence the sexual orientation of their children? Findings from a longitudinal study of lesbian families. Developmental Psychology, 32(1), 3-11.
- Hicks, S. (1996). The 'last resort'?: Lesbian and gay experiences of the social work assessment process in fostering and adoption. Practice, 8(2), 15-24.
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation All Children All Families Project. (2010). Promising practices in adoption and foster care: A comprehensive guide to policies and practices that welcome, affirm and support lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender foster and adoptive parents. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved September 20, 2010, from www.hrc.org/issues/parenting/adoptions/8941.htm
- Mallon, G. P. (2007). Assessing lesbian and gay prospective foster and adoptive families: A focus on the home study process. Child Welfare 86(1), 67-86.
- Ryan, S. D. (2000). Examining social workers' placement recommendations of children with gay and lesbian adoptive parents. Families in Society, 81(5), 517-528.
- Ryan, S. D., & Cash, S. (2004). Adoptive families headed by gay or lesbian parents: A threat or hidden resource? University of Florida, Journal of Law and Public Policy, 15(3), 443-465.
- Stacey, J., & Biblarz, T. J. (2001). (How) does the sexual orientation of parents matter? American Sociological Review, 66, 159-83.
Adoption professionals and families can find more information in Information Gateway's Frequently Asked Questions From Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Prospective Foster and Adoptive Parents.
This material may be freely reproduced and distributed. However, when doing so, please credit Child Welfare Information Gateway.