We collect no information about you when you visit our website, other than information automatically collected and stored (see below), unless you choose to provide that information to us.
Information automatically collected and stored
When you browse through any website, certain personal information about you can be collected. We automatically collect and temporarily store the following information about your visit:
- The Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the web) from which you access our website
- The type of browser (e.g., Netscape, Internet Explorer) and operating system (Windows, Unix) used to access our site
- The date and time you access our site
- The pages you visit
- If you linked to the www.childwelfare.gov website from another website, the address of that website
This information is used only to help us make the site more useful for you. With these data we learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use. We never track or record information about individuals and their visits.
Note: From time to time, we conduct customer satisfaction surveys through our website. Participation in this data collection effort is completely voluntary, and failure to respond will in no way affect the visitor's ability to access information. This information will be used by Child Welfare Information Gateway solely for the purpose of improving our public websites.
Unless it is specifically stated otherwise, no additional information will be collected about you.
Personally provided information
We do not collect personal information for any purpose other than to respond to you (for example, to respond to your questions or send materials you request). If you choose to provide us with personal information—by filling out our online order form, for example—we use that information to respond to your request and to help us get you the information you have requested. We share the information you give us with another government agency only if your question relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law. Child Welfare Information Gateway never collects information or creates individual profiles for commercial marketing.
When you visit some websites, their web servers generate pieces of information known as cookies. Some cookies collect personal information to recognize your computer in the future—these are called "persistent cookies." This is not the case at www.childwelfare.gov, where we use only nonpersistent cookies or "session cookies." These cookies do not collect personal information on users, and they are erased as soon as you leave our website.
Session cookies serve technical purposes like providing seamless navigation through our website or to help you through the online ordering process. These cookies do not permanently record data, and they are not stored on your computer's hard drive. Child Welfare Information Gateway cookies are stored in memory and are available only during an active browser session. Again, once you close your browser, the cookie disappears.
Child Welfare Information Gateway does not disclose, give, sell, or transfer any personal information about our visitors, unless required for law enforcement by statute.
Disclaimer of endorsement
The information posted on this website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. Child Welfare Information Gateway provides these links and pointers solely for our users' information and convenience. When users select a link to an outside website, they are leaving Child Welfare Information Gateway's site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners or sponsors of the outside website.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked website.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products or services they offer.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked website.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway is not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked websites.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway does not guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 (accessibility requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.
Freedom of Information Act
You may request information from the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Follow this link to find instructions on how to make a request and contact information: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/acf_foia.html.
Child Welfare Information Gateway will not link to any website that exhibits hate, prejudice, or discrimination. Furthermore, we reserve the right to deny or remove any link that contains misleading information or unsubstantiated claims, or is determined to be in conflict with our mission or policies.