Frequently Asked Questions: Out-of-Home Care
Questions and answers
- How many children are in foster care in the U.S.? In my State?
- How long do children stay in foster care? What are their plans after foster care?
- How do I become a foster parent? Will I receive any financial assistance to care for a child(ren)?
- I'm having problems with foster care services in my State. What should I do?
- How the Child Welfare System Works
Also available in Spanish: Cómo Funciona el Sistema de Bienestar de Menores
- Adoption and Foster Care Statistics (AFCARS Reports)
- Child Welfare Outcomes Report Data
Frequently requested information
- Foster Care Statistics
Provides the most current national statistical estimates and data trends.
- A Family's Guide to the Child Welfare System (PDF - 699 KB)
Addresses many of the questions that families face when they become involved in the child welfare system.
Also available in Spanish: Guía para la familia sobre el sistema de bienestar infantil (PDF - 889 KB)
- State Foster Care Information Websites
Links to State websites with foster care information.
- Kinship Caregivers and the Child Welfare System: A Factsheet for Families
Types of kinship care, services for relative caregivers, and more.