Spread the Word
Promote National Foster Care Month and encourage your audience to get involved! Access these tools to support your promotional, outreach, and social media activities.
Download and share the National Foster Care Month Outreach Toolkit (PDF - 2,720 KB).
Include these key points in your messaging to demonstrate how child welfare and legal professionals can prioritize foster care as a services to families by engaging young people in all aspects of permanency planning and helpingthem maintain meaningful connections with family and other support systems while in out-of-home care.
- There are over 423,000 children and youth in foster care. Over half have a case plan goal of reunification with their parents or primary caregiver.
- Juvenile and family court systems can influence whether children are reunified with their families or reenter care.
- Meaningful and appropriate involvement of youth in their court hearings and case planning greatly benefits all participants and leads to more favorable outcomes for families.
- Competent legal representation for parents is associated with the achievement of timely reunification.
- A strong support system of professionals and family can help young people address the challenges they face during their transition to adulthood. Virtual engagement tools can be used to establish and maintain that support system by enhancing connectedness for all involved.
- In addition to supporting brain development, encouraging young people to be active participants in planning their own lives supports the development of leadership skills, improves self-esteem, and helps form critical social connections.
Raise awareness by sharing these graphics through social media, websites, email communications, or anywhere you can help spread the word!
Sample Social Media
With over 423,000 children and youth in foster care, it's time to focus on how child welfare systems—especially in partnership with the legal and judicial community—can support and strengthen families, prevent disruption, and promote reunification. #FosterCareMonth https://go.usa.gov/xAhQX
May is National Foster Care Month! Share these inspiring stories and help communities come together to build meaningful connections for youth in foster care. #FosterCareMonth #NFCM2021 https://go.usa.gov/xAhQm
Contact media, bloggers, and local community groups or notify your colleagues using these messages!
See how you can take action to raise awareness in your hometown!
- View sample State and local proclamations
- Explore National Foster Care Month events happening around the country
- See examples of how some child welfare agencies are helping foster care act as a support to families