- How long do children stay in foster care? What are their plans after foster care?
- A family member asked me to be a legal guardian for her children because she is having some serious problems and cannot care for them, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Can you explain?
- What are the permanency outcomes for children leaving foster care?
An additional 10 percent were emancipated or aged out of foster care, and 3 percent had other outcomes. The percentage of children who left the system for adoption increased by 2 percentage points between FY 2000 and FY 2008. Overall, the percentage of children exiting foster care to a permanent family (i.e., reunification, adoption, or living with relative or guardian) showed only small variations across the two periods. For more information, see the Children's Bureau's Adoption & Foster Care Statistics.
- State Laws on Child Welfare
- Summaries of State laws on permanency planning for children in foster care.
Addresses guardianship options for children in out-of-home care, including standby and subsidized guardianships
- Extending Out-Of-Home Care for Youth Past Age 18
Presents information on Federal and State efforts to support youth in out-of-home care past age 18
Promotes the recruitment and retention of adoptive families for children in foster care.