- What are the signs or symptoms of child abuse and neglect?
- At what age can a child legally be left home alone?
- What can I do if I suspect child abuse or neglect? How do I report child abuse or neglect?
- What is considered child abuse and neglect in my State? How does my State define child abuse and neglect?
- Can I make an anonymous report of abuse?
- How many children are abused and neglected each year?
- Who typically abuses children?
- How many children die each year due to abuse or neglect?
According to Child Maltreatment 2014, an estimated 1,546 children died as a result of abuse or neglect in 2014. This national estimate was based on data from State child welfare information systems, as well as other data sources available to the States. The full text of Child Maltreatment 2014 is available online at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/child-maltreatment-2014
- Toll-Free Crisis Hotline Numbers
Also available in Spanish: Números Gratuitos de las Líneas de Ayuda en Caso de Crisis
Note: This factsheet combines and updates two previous factsheets from Child Welfare Information Gateway: What Is Child Abuse and Neglect? and Recognizing Child Abuse and Neglect: Signs and Symptoms.
- How to Report Suspected Child Maltreatment
Also available in Spanish: Cómo puede reportar el maltrato de menores
- From Complaint to Resolution: Understanding the Child Welfare Grievance Process
Series Title Factsheets for Families Author(s)Child Welfare Information Gateway Availability View
Download (PDF - 554KB)
Versión para imprimir (PDF - 245KB)
Year Published 2016Provides parents (birth, foster, and adoptive) and other caregivers with information about the best way to resolve their differences with a service provider or other child welfare professional. Since child welfare agency policies and procedures are State-specific, this factsheet presents information from a national perspective and points to additional resources about where to find information related to a particular State. The information and resources provided in this factsheet address the majority of complaints associated with the CPS system.
- A Coordinated Response to Child Abuse and Neglect: The Foundation for Practice
- Child Maltreatment 2013
- Child Maltreatment 2016, this summary presents statistics and information on child fatalities due to abuse and neglect in the United States during Federal fiscal year (FFY) 2016. It includes national and state-by-state data as well as additional research and information on prevention and interventions.